Saturday, May 19, 2012

Foam Core?

One of my first "cool" boards was a kryptonics foam core.


Awesome board. This model was 10 x 30. It had a P-Tex base, a rubberized bumper around the outside, and a pretty cool shape.

They were also really heavy. Any real attempt to repair the P-Tex base like you would skis, only seemed to magnify the damage. You tended to wear holes in the base revealing the foam core.  I think I broke a couple of these in half.. ( This model, and the other 10" model.)

Because of the unique styling, it was almost popsicle like... The nose and the tail were very similar, although the nose did not have a kick and these things were flat as pancakes.

I had a dream to reproduce this board, only with a modern twist... Make it concave and have a double kick.  Why not just make is a full popsicle shape?





Woot!  That is what I was thinking of..

The top of the old board was distinctive as well.



You can clearly see the bumper ( more in the tip and tail than sides ) and the 3 kyrpto stickers in the middle.

Here is my pop core remake.



I have to let the core paint cure, and then I will finish the lettering, pop some green kyrpto wheels on, and skate this thing.

Feels just like 1978...

1 comment:

  1. That's so cool. I remember having a couple of Kryptonics skateboard decks, tracker trucks and red Kryptonics wheels. I can remember the clean quiet sound they made or didn't make. I can remember the boards snapped in the middle with some aggressive skating. I would love to find a good old deck somewhere for old times sake.

    ReplyDelete